Monday, March 30, 2009

Let the Wild Rumpus Start

Last week, the long-awaited trailer for Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things Are" was released and it's already more popular than that hamster eating carrots on youtube. Being that this was one of my favorite books as a child and since every other blog, internet news site, and frickin' twitter has said something about this movie, I figured we needed to get in on this.

Actually, what has interested me most about this movie in the past few days has been the soundtrack. I was lured in by the sounds of Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" and even more intrigued by the mention of Karen O and Carter Burwell. After endless searches to find out more information than what I could figure out for myself in the last few frames of the trailer, I ended up at... mtv.com? And actually there is a carbon copy of the same article on vh1.com, if you're too good to go to mtv for your news. (Note: by "endless searches" I mean about 30 minutes of casual googling while I ate lunch.)

MTV on Karen O and Carter Burwell:
...O's name is listed in the just-released "Wild Things" trailer, alongside musician Carter Burwell, who has scored all of Jonze's previous feature films as well as a little film you might have heard of called "Twilight."


On Arcade Fire:
A spokesperson for the Fire told MTV News that he was reaching out to them for comment on "Wild Things" and their involvement with the film but had received no answer by press time. He did, however, confirm to MTV News that the version of "Wake Up" featured in the trailer was "a new version, re-recorded specifically for the film," so perhaps the band didn't just stop there.

Now I have one problem with this article. Carter Burwell is known for his work with the Coen Brothers, right? He's like the Angelo Badalamenti to their David Lynch? Okay, maybe I'm stretching it. But you're telling me that the kids today would know Twilight over The Big Lebowski? Baffling!

Actually, according to Wikipedia (which is where I get all my information), he scored the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie and has just now made it to the top ten of my awesome list.

So before I go off on a further tangent, here's the trailer for Where the Wild Things Are:

No comments:

Post a Comment