Friday, June 8, 2012

Cocktails and Dinosaurs: News and Libations for the Weekend of June 8, 2012

Semi-monthly posts that remind you of the news you already read on the internet this past week.  This week's post is mainly a vain attempt to make Tara look bad because her last post was in March!







(via The Daily Meal)
I'm not saying anything about the Queen's Jubilee, but here's a Corgi pissing on Marmite.
  • Welcome to Summer!  Time to jump into pee-filled pools to escape the heat.  Oh yes, I said 'pee-filled' and you know it's true.  Jezebel talks to one of these pee-ers to get their perspective.  It's a good read.
  • Burning Love is an awesome new web series.  If not, not awesome. (You'll get that joke when you see episode 3, I'll excuse your ignorance.)  Take a couple people from The State (i.e. Ken Marino and Michael Ian Black) add Ben Stiller, Jennifer Aniston, Veronica Mars, Chang from Community, and a bunch of other funny talented people and you get an excellent show.  Honestly, if you haven't watched it already, I give up!  I'm sorry I didn't mean that, I love you. (btw, most of those links are to the Ellen show)
  • A double rainbow graced Manhattan this past Sunday. A double frackin' rainbow! (via EV Grieve)
  • The internet loves Michelle Obama's Top Ten on David Letterman so you should probably just watch it.
  • Full Disclosure:  I have never seen MTV's The Jersey Shore.  However, being from New Jersey, I am pretty sure watching a parody of that show get attacked by sharks has to be somewhat satisfying.  You can watch the trailer to the SyFy (because that's how we spell science fiction now) channel movie, Jersey Shore Shark Attack here.  
  • My mom and her sisters used to always talk about how much they loved playing with paper dolls.  I used to think, "Gee, that sucks.  All my dolls are in 3D."
    Anyway, the 'forever looking forward but in a backwards direction' folks at Vulture created Girls (on HBO) paper dolls.  Now you can recreate your favorite parts of the first season in the privacy of your own home!  All you need is a color printer, some scissors, and your imagination.  See also Downton Abbey and Ron Swanson paper dolls.  (via Jezebel)
  • Did you love the movie Drive?  Did you think to yourself, "I wish Byran Cranston (who starred as Shannon in Drive) would interview the director of this fine movie."?  Well, part of your wish came true today because I have an excerpt of Nicolas Winding Refn being interviewed by Bryan Cranston.
  • Have you been keeping tabs on the casting of the CBGB Movie?  It's exciting!

Cocktail of the Week:  Manhattan





















My first introduction to the Manhattan cocktail was from The Simpsons Season 3 Episode 4 (Bart the Murderer).  I was searching for a clip of Bart Simpson mixing his first Manhattan, but the internet is fickle today.  Anyway,  I got this one at B-side in the East Village of Manhattan and it was superb!  Here's one recipe I found online and here's the "Real" Manhattan according to the NY Times.  Have fun with it, just make sure you don't get arrested for being the leader of a murderous criminal syndicate after you have mastered the art of making a Manhattan.

Send any news tidbits and cocktails ideas to: monicatara@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. One thing is sure of the Manhattan recipe, and that is, it has transformed incrementally since it's conception, having an ever decreasing amount of vermouth added to it, and even for a time cutting the bitters altogether. Luckily today we recognized our mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate having to tell the bartender not to shake my Manhattan, Geez!

    ReplyDelete