Monday, October 22, 2012

Tempeh and Mushroom Strogonoff - Looks So Odd. TASTES SO GOOD.


Autumn. Giver of gourds. The ideal season to slide back into the routine of wrestling with your can opener in a hot kitchen while accidental dustings of pumpkin pie spices and smears of canola oil surround you.  The drudgery looks quite worthwhile when you're finally stuffing your face with the hearty and scrumptious fruits of your labor. (To defend against this statement getting used out of context, I must reiterate that I do not advocate or tolerate the consumption of babies.)

I was looking for a simple new strogonoff recipe when I came across this great one from Whole Foods. Of course, pay no attention to the suggestion to use a vegan OR non-vegan ingredient (Tofutti Sour Supreme or death!!).


Getting started....look at those attractive choppings. I always engage in the risky activity of buying supermarket produce, and this time wasn't disappointed. Shop Rite usually sells perfectly decent portobello mushrooms and white onions. The sometimes-exquisite-sometimes-practically-decomposed apples may leave you breathless with rage, however.


Luscious frangrance as the garlic, onion, and mushrooms brown in the pan.


The finished yumm-o dish. As I mixed the brown gravy and sour cream, I couldn't help getting suspicious that this would taste like vomit (and not the superb Bad Taste kind). One bite was all it took to remind myself that I am an ignorant troll.

Notes: Instead of the suggested packet of gravy mix, I used about three quarters of a 10.5 ounce can of Shop Rite brand mushroom gravy. Also, I substituted instant whole wheat couscous for brown rice. Since rice is now being reported as a festering cancer bomb along with apple and grape juice (the cause, of course, is humans' slap-happy use of pesticides), I often use couscous, lentils, or quinoa in place of rice.

If you're looking for a dinner entree that warms your soul as well as any Quaker product, give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment